Edging, Beveling, Creasing And Skiving21st August 2020
To really finish off your leather projects nicely, it is recommended to bevel off all the edges before burnishing or sealing them. Bevelers/edging tools work by taking off just the sharp edge left on the leather after cutting it. This gives a nice neat rounded/beveled edge to the piece and also prevents fraying and will make the item more durable.
When buying edging tools, bevelers/shavers, you will find they are either graded by number, where 1 takes off just the smallest amount of leather, up to 4 which removes a substantial amount off the edge; or they are sold in size by the millimetre width of their cutting tip.
Another great tool to have in your inventory, especially if you are going to be doing a lot of folds or stitching, is a good bone folder and a skiving knife. Boned folders help to make nice, neat folds in leather and other materials as well; and can also be used in conjunction with beeswax or glycerin soap for edge polishing. A skiving knife is used when you want the leather to be thinner in places, normally for sewing, folding or gluing.
Remember to always sharpen your skiving knife on a fine sharpening stone or file card before using it.
And last on the list is a creasing iron. These aren’t completely essential but do come in handy for making beautiful and neat decorative lines along the edge of your projects, such as belts, collars and book binding. They are also great to mark out a line for sewing, which helps keep the thread flush with the work piece. A creasing iron can either be used cold with leather that has been cased (made slightly damp with cold water) or you can heat up the end of the creasing iron with a flame or heat gun first and use it hot, which will make a darker, more pronounced crease.
OUR TOP PICKS:
Hugttt 5 Pack Edge Leather Beveler and Leather Skive
- Material: the beveling tool is made of steel with wooden handle, lightweight and portable, sturdy and durable
- Size: leather cutting knife length: 16cm/6.3in, cutter blade size: 7cm x 3.6cm/2.76in x 1.4in, heads of leather bevelers have 4 different sizes, including 1.5 mm, 1.2 mm, 1.0 mm and 0.8 mm, different sizes can easily satisfy your various needs
- Feature: help you DIY leather, artificial leather processing, cutting leather, peeling, trimming, etc. DIY Leather Craft Tool: suitable for DIY handbags, wallets, belts, bags, backpacks and more, the leather cutting tools are very sharp and easy to control, which can help you to cut out any perfect leather shape you want
Zerodis 6’’ Genuine Bone Folder Tool
- Real Bone folder for bookbinding, leather and paper crafts.Size approx. 6″ x 0.8″ x 0.2″
- 6 inch length is comfortable for holding by hands and providing a precise and flexible control.
- Pointed head is great for creasing and scoring paper, cutting clay, and getting into hard-to-reach corners.
- Widely used for creasing, burnishing edges, smoothing, folding or forming leather and bonding leathers together.
- Folding bones made from durable genuine bone, not inferior plastic or wood.
Ebony Handle Adjustable Stainless Steel Edge Creaser
- The design of the curvature perfectly solves the problem of leather corners. Stable structure keeps running smoothly during using. There are 3 different thicknesses for you to choose from.
- The leather craft creaser has a nice ebony handle that fits comfortably in the hand and easily force against the edge of your leather to make a nice border following the contour of your leather.
- The handle is made of ebony, the head is made of 304 stainless steel, and the surface is mirror polished, which is not easy to rust and extremely difficult to oxidize.
- One blade runs along outside edge of the leather piece and other blade makes crease impression.Great for creating stitching and lacing lines or marking edge prior to tooling when crafting leather belts,straps,wallets,bags,holsters or saddles.