Caring For Vegetable Tanned Leather15th January 2018
Vegetable tanned leathers, with the right feeding & care, have the ability to “heal” scratches and discolorations.
Vegetable tanned leathers are much more susceptible to the consequences of excessive moisture or heavy water exposure compared with chrome & oil tanned leathers.
For monthly care we recommend either Dubbin or beeswax. You will know your leather needs some care when it displays either of the following:
- Superficial cracking or flaking
- Grain feels dry or hard
- Ridging not caused by usual wear
- Exceess exposure to water or cleaning agents
To protect and restore your vegetable tanned leather:
- Clean first using a brush or cloth
- Then warm up the leather by either leaving in the sun or with a hairdryer. Be carefull not to over do it, you just want the leather body temperature.
- Apply a small amount of Dubbin to a clean, lint free cloth and rub evenly over leather. Dubbin wax will leave a slightly oily film on leather (important for repelling water and dirt) and as such should be applied sparingly.