Hammers, Mallets & Mauls For Leather Craft5th September 2020
There are so many hammers, mallets and mauls out there, that it can be really quite daunting for someone who is new to leather craft, to make the right choice. Well here’s the good news, any one will do!
But if we dig down a bit deeper. You decide to take leather craft a bit more seriously and are going to be punching a lot of holes, or spending many hours stamping and carving, then the choice of smacking tool becomes more important to get right. So here is just a brief summary of points to take on board when shopping for a new hammer, mallet or maul for your leather workshop (even if it’s the kitchen table).
Mallets & Mauls
- Mallets & Mauls: Flat faced mallets are great for hard strikes, whereas rounded mauls are better at prolonged periods of stamping, especially for finer work. If possible have a light one (8-10oz) for stamping and a heavy one (16-22oz) for hole punches and heavy-set stamps, such as alphabet stamps.
Mallets & Mauls Material Choices:
- Wood is cheap, but doesn’t last very long.
- Plastic/Nylon/Rubber lasts ages, but the rebound/bounce-back on them is quite noticeable, which is great when you are stamping and shading, but not as useful when you are stamping letters and larger detailed stamps, as they can sometimes induce stutter in the imprint.
- Rawhide (compressed buffalo hide) is the traditional mallet material of choice for some leather workers, as it is very durable and has just about zero bounce-back.
Metal faced hammers can be split into both weight groups as well as the other 2 main variations, which is flat faced and rounded faced.
- For a flat faced hammer, I like to use a small brass, jewelers hammer. These work great for setting small copper/brass rivets/eyelets, compressing small glue joints, such as wallet linings and for flattening seams and stitching.
- Round faced shoemakers hammers, work great at compressing edges and seams and a good quality polished head will leave no marks on the leather.
OUR TOP PICKS
8-Ounces White Solid Rubber Mallet, Fiberglass Handle with Soft Rubber Grip
- Solid & Non-marking: Double-faced, non-marking solid white rubber head providing gentle, positive strike. White rubber head delivers non-markings
- High-strength fiberglass handle with non-slip rubber grip for comfort and helps absorb vibrations Exterior poly jacket protects handle core from missed strikes
- Production Specifications: 8oz White Rubber Mallet, Head weight – 8oz , Head diameter – 53mm(2.1″), Head length – 80mm(3.2″) Production total length – 295mm(11.6″); Product total weight: 400g (0.88lbs)
Thor 14 Rawhide Hammer Size 3 (20oz)
- Two cylindrical faces of genuine compressed buffalo rawhide
- Wooden handle
- Ideal where a heavy blow is required
- Malleable iron head
- Absorbs shock
Leather Carving Hammer, DIY Leathercraft Mallet, Cowhide Sew Club, Nylon Straight Head Wood Handle 8.26 Inch
- Sturdy and durable stainless steel construction with wooden handle. Edge alloy material, polished and grinding treatment.
- Nylon hammer tail nut is fixed, anti slip and skid prevention. Great for use with leather stamps, Prong Diamond Chisel, hole punch, etc.
Leather Carving Hammer, DIY Leathercraft Mallet, Cowhide Sew Club, Nylon T Head Wood Handle 7.4 Inch
- Use our DIY leathercraft carving hammer, striking the leathercraft tool to print kinds of figures on the leathercraft.
- Sturdy and durable stainless steel construction with wooden handle. Edge alloy material, polished and grinding treatment. Nylon hammer tail nut is fixed, anti slip and skid prevention.
Shoemaker/Cobbler Forged Steel Hammer with Rounded Hammerhead and Hickory Handle
- Stable forged steel hammer painted black with rounded hammerhead. Polished and fitted with a high-quality hickory handle.
- The rounded hammerhead leaves no marks on the sole, for example Leathersoles. A good shoemaker hammer is a basic equipment in every shoemaker’s workshop.
PTL® Prestige Brass Hammer Mini Small Hammer
- PTL Prestige Mini Brass Hammer Length: 9″, Head Diameter: 15 mm, Head Length: 2″, Total weight: 100 gram
- Multipurpose for jewellery makers, silver smiths, crafters and more…