Leather Craft Groovers and Gougers5th September 2020
A leather gouge tool is used to cut a neat channel in veg tanned leather, usually on the flesh side, to make it easier to fold or bend angles in thicker leathers, like 2-4mm. It can also double up as a stitching groover, but is a little harder to master and requires a lot more pressure on the cutting tip.
We recommend an adjustable v-shaped gouge tool, which can cut everything from the finest to the deepest of channels in leather.
Please remember to always sharpen your leather cutting tools on a strop or file card, before use, so they will last you for years and be safer to use, as a sharp tool is much safer to use then a blunt one.
An adjustable leather groover is often used to cut a shallow groove in the surface of veg tanned leather for when you want to recess your stitching slightly into the leather, either for practical or decorative reasons.
There are 2 main variations of this common leather tool. Both work equally well and it is more a matter of preference.
- The adjustable section/arm of the tool does the cutting, and a screw in the end of the tool is loosened with a small screw driver/allen key to slide the cutting section back and forth, so you can choose how far in from the edge of your leather you want your groove to be.
- The adjustable arm is used as a guide that runs along the edge of the leather and the cutting part is inline with the handle of the tool.
Personally I prefer the second option, but always remember to polish the cutting hole with a piece of thick thread and polishing compound before every use.
OUR TOP PICKS:
Ultnice 7 Piece Leather Craft Stitching Groover Edger Beveler Leather Working Tool Kit
- Works as a stitch groover, edge creaser, leather edge bezel, rough edge trimmer and sewing hole spacer.
- Professional tools for leather, such as belt, wallet, purse, pocket bag, table mat, etc.
- High quality: Made of wood and steel, it is durable and does not easily rust with a stylish and comfortable wooden handle.
- Portable, lightweight and practical. You can enjoy your leather construction and add more fun with this useful tool kit.
Adjustable Craftool Leather V-Gouge with Wood Handle
- Very well made and high quality:Made of high quality steel and wooden handle. Durable and safe.
- Humanized Design: Come with wooden handle .Comfortable grip is suitable for long time work.
- The depth of the gouge is usually made 1/2 depth of the thickness of the leather, on the flesh side. Adjust by turning the knurled ferrule.
- It is easy to use, sharp, and it is very sturdy.