The Best Dye And Finishing Treatment For Vegetable Tanned Leather22nd August 2020
Vegetable tanned leather is unique in that it will naturally develop a beautiful rich brown patina when exposed to sunlight. If left untreated, natural veg tanned leather starts off a pale cream colour and starts developing a salmon pink tone after just a few days of exposure; it then begins to turn to a brick red colour and finally after a few months, a rich brown.
Of-course if you would prefer to have more control over the colour, there is a wide variety of dyes and treatments available to colour natural vegetable tanned leather. Then once it is the colour you like, it needs to be treated against discolouration from UV exposure and waterproofed to protect it from being damaged by dirt and the elements.
OUR TOP PICKS:
Any Water Based Red Food Colouring Containing Paprika Extract
- 100% Natural ingredients
- Alcohol free
Place Steel Wool In An Open Jar Filled With Vinegar, Leave A Few Days And Then Either Submerge Or Paint On To Veg Tan Leather
24pk Steel Wool + Pride White Spirit Vinegar
FIEBINGS LEATHER DYE
Our favourite leather dye brand by far is Fiebings. Their dyes go on really easy and offer extremely good coverage. Apply Fiebings leather dye evenly using a wool dauber, piece of wool skin, cloth, or sponge. For large areas an airbrush gives a nice even finish, but 2 or more coats may be required to get the desired colour result.
Gunpla 100 Pcs Wool Daubers
- Gunpla daubers balls brushes for leather are made of high quality wool to aid in providing utmost leather crafting.
- The wool daubers feature galvanized steel for strong and comfortable grip.
- The set comprises 100 pieces of leather wool dauber brushes applicator for dyeing with each measuring 12cm in total length and the wool ball measures 2.3cm in diameter.
- The dauber handle measures 10.5cm and the hoop 1.6cm in diameter.
Angelus Leather Paint
Angelus leather paint is great for edges, fine details and accents.
Gold Label Dubbin
- To complete your leather project, warm up the leather with a hair dryer and then apply dubbin liberally, allow to soak in, then buff with a clean, dry cloth.
- Waterproofs, Softens, Preserves & Protects Vegetable Tanned Leather